SOS International LLC Cleared Simultaneous Interpreters/Translators (Arabic, Arabic/Kurdish) in Iraq
For 29 years, clients in the private and public sectors have relied upon SOS International LLC (SOSi) for critical operations in the world’s most challenging environments. SOSi is privately held, was founded by its current ownership in 1989, maintains corporate headquarters in New York City, and specializes in providing logistics, construction, training, intelligence, and information technology solutions to the defense, diplomatic, intelligence and law enforcement communities.
All interested individuals will receive consideration and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or protected veteran status. SOSi takes affirmative action in support of its policy to advance diversity and inclusion of individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
1-180412-6774: Cleared Simultaneous Interpreters/Translators (Arabic, Arabic/Kurdish)
Location Overseas - Iraq
Open Date 4/12/2018
**This position is contingent upon contract award**
SOS International LLC (SOSi) isseeking individuals fluent in Arabic (preferably w/ Iraqi Dialect) and Arabic/Kurdish (preferably w/ Iraqi Dialect), as well as and English, to provide simultaneous interpretation, and translation. These positions are in support of the Department of State efforts in Iraq and are in various locations throughout Iraq.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
As a Simultaneous Interpreter, you must faithfully express the speaker's intent while working in the simultaneous mode (using equipment, voiceover or whisper techniques); must also demonstrate the ability to interpret in the consecutive mode
As a Translator, you must prepare a full and faithful translation, requiring limited research and formatted in the mannerprescribed by the client; language quality must be appropriate to the complexity of the source material and require little editing for clarity, consistency and readability; standard nouns of grammar, spelling and punctuation must be observed; not all Simultaneous Interpreter positions require translation.
• Must have, at minimum, an active Secret clearance; most positions require an active Top-Secret clearance
• Must be fluent in speaking, reading, writing Arabic or Arabic/Kurdish, and English
• Must be willing to take, and able to pass, Interagency Language Round Table (ILR) tests with a level 4/4, in the Target Language and English, for Speaking and Reading; additional testing for Listening and Writing may be required
• Must have the ability to understand basic elements of speech in a standard dialect
• Must have the ability to comprehend slang and colloquial expressions in the required foreign language(s) and translate them into their English equivalent
• Must have the ability to work well under pressure to meet specific deadlines
• Must have basic typing/word processing skills of at least 30 wpm
• Must have the ability to understand requirements necessary to perform specific tasks being processed and produces
• Must have one of the following:
• A Bachelor's degree with:
• Major Study of the Target language from an English-speaking college or university; or,
• Major Study of English from a college or university in a foreign country
• Specialized experience with:
• Two (2) or more years' experience in translating, interpreting, or other work requiring the use of English and the Target language(s); or,
• Combination of work (that required English and other Target language(s)) and training at the Defense Language Institute (DLI), Foreign Service Institute (FSI), or comparable training institute
- This position requires frequent standing or siting, frequent speaking, and use of office-type equipment.
- This position requires you to work and live in a hazardous environment.
- In order to qualify for thisposition, the employee must meet the customers' mandated fitness standards; the customer reserves the right to approval all contract personnel for deployment.
- Medical screening will be performed prior to deployment.
POSITION TYPE & HOURS OF WORK
- This is a full-time position. Work will generally be six (6) days per week, ten to twelve (10-12) hours per day.
- This position is located in Iraq.