SOS International LLC Spanish Linguist/Interpreter - Billings in Billings, Montana
For 29 years, clients in the private and public sectors have relied upon SOS International LLC (SOSi) for critical operations in the world’s most challenging environments. SOSi is privately held, was founded by its current ownership in 1989, maintains corporate headquarters in New York City, and specializes in providing logistics, construction, training, intelligence, and information technology solutions to the defense, diplomatic, intelligence and law enforcement communities.
All interested individuals will receive consideration and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or protected veteran status. SOSi takes affirmative action in support of its policy to advance diversity and inclusion of individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
1-170801-5857: Spanish Linguist/Interpreter - Billings
Location U.S. - Montana - Billings
Open Date 8/1/2017
SOSi is seeking a detailed oriented Linguist to provide a core of intelligence analytical expertise in one of the following languages to English: Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Jamaican Patois, Haitian Creole, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Armenian, Hebrew, Romanian, Russian, Turkish, Serbo-Croatian, Farsi, Pashto, Dari, Papiamento, Philipino, Tagalog, Balock, Balochi, Ibo, Miskito, Twi, Yoruba, and Plantdietsch)
Essential Job Duties:
- Capable of satisfactorily performing various linguistic functions and duties throughout a shift as described below for monitoring, organizing, categorizing, translating, transcribing, interpreting, performing quality control, and validating services.
- Responsible for monitoring varying numbers of communication intercepts during any given shift.
- Listen to oral and/or electronic communication intercepts or other digital media in English and in foreign languages and provide an immediate oral summary in English, followed by a hand-written or typed (as instructed by the Linguistic Supervisor) summary in English in a format and review the summary for accuracy.
- Operate equipment such as cassette tape recording equipment, Television Sets (TV), desk-top computers, digital T2S2 systems and/or other equipment as required.
- Prepare a summary of each intercept to include, but not limited to, a hand written or typed synopsis (gist) in English that is grammatically correct; date and time of recording; and other relevant information as instructed.
- Correctly identify the conversant(s) through use of a voice library and/or from the context of the conversation.
- Enter the summary into a computerized medium when required.
- Sign all gists, summary logs, or documents that are prepared as may be required as well as initial all tape recordings, and the initialing of the tape recordings must be witnessed by another person as may be required.
- Maintain a list of slang words and codes used by the conversants for the duration of the communications intercept.
- Prepare a replacement cassette tape, Magneto Optical Disk (MOD), Digital Audio Tape (OAT), Compact Disks (CD), or other media as directed by the COR for all intercepted communication.
- perform administrative duties related to the above duties, such as arranging log sheets, gists, and/or summaries into binders and/or file folders; copying and assembling related paperwork; and labeling storage containers. ability to understand the specific tasks being processed and produced.
- Comply with Court regulations concerning minimization procedures
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s Degree: Major study in the appropriate foreign language from an English-speaking college or university resulting in equal foreign language and English grammatical skills. Enabling the individual to comprehend, write, and speak that language at the native or near-native level OR A minimum of four (4) years combined work and educational experience in translating, interpreting, or other work requiring the use of English and another language. Enabling the individual to comprehend, write, and speak that language at the native or near-native level.
- Excellent command of the English language and the ability to provide clear, concise, oral and written communications.
- Skills necessary to listen and comprehend a foreign language with native or near-native ability, and to follow accurately the basic elements of conversation, whether written or verbal.
- Skills necessary to read and comprehend foreign language(s) with a native or near-native ability and to read and understand various text-types.
- The ability to comprehend slang and colloquial expressions in a foreign language and translate them into English.
- A sufficiently broad vocabulary in English that paraphrasing or explaining is unnecessary.
- The ability to work well under pressure to meet specific deadlines.
- A minimum of 40 wpm typing/word processing skill and have managerial presentation skills.
- Fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Work is on an as-needed basis
- Shift-based schedules
- Office environment with differing locations depending upon assignment
*This position is contingent upon award of contract.